Your skin is one of the most prominent features of your body as it is comprised of over 95% of the surface features you possess. With your skin playing such as big role in how the world around you perceives you it is important that you maintain healthy and vibrant skin not only for your outward appearance, but your inward health as well. So how do you maintain healthy, smooth and flawless skin? By supplying it with the nutrients that it needs to function properly and with these 5 foods you can get smooth, blemish free skin easily.
1. Carrots – This orange vegetable is packed full of Vitamin A which aids the skin in maintaining a proper pH balance; this pH balance is what provides the skin with just the right amount of acidity to help fend off potentially harmful bacteria that could damage your skin and leave it susceptible to other harmful substances. Carrots also contain carotenoids which the NCI (National Cancer Institute) found can decrease your chances of developing skin cancer 6 times less than those who ingest far less carotenoids.
2. Salmon, Sardines & Flax Seed – The main nutrient that all three of these foods carry is Omega-3 Fatty acid and omega-3’s provide several benefits to the skin. The essential fatty acids help to block things such as free radicals that can damage the skin while also providing a conduit for nutrients and waste that come in and out of the body.
3. Whole Grains, Turkey & Brazil Nuts – This collection of foods may seem like they have nothing in common, but they provide the body with essential selenium. The mineral is largely in use when the body creates new skin cells and when there is a healthy supply the skin cells that are produced are able to properly function to increase the healthy and vitally it of the skin. Studies have shown that those who have high levels of selenium in their bodies are less likely to receive skin damage from the sun than those who are deficient in the mineral.
4. Berries, Beans, Artichokes & Pecans – These foods are rich in antioxidants that can help prevent many skin problems such as skin cancer as well as to promote properly pigmentation in the skin. When the body doesn’t receive a healthy amount of antioxidants through foods or supplements it is more likely to develop skin issues that could outwardly leave a less desirable complexion while inwardly leaving skin that is far less capable in protecting the inner body from harmful elements.
5. Water – Proper hydration is something that is vital to maintaining a healthy complexion no matter what. Water provides the body with the means to flush out toxins in the skin which can build up; clogging pores, damaging skin cells and so forth. By drinking a proper amount of water each day (eight 8oz glasses) your body is better able to stay hydrated and flush the skin of issues that can create a less than favorable outward appearance.