Tabata training is popularly known in the fitness industry today as a form of high-intensity interval training generally consisting of eight sessions of exercises performed at an exceedingly high frequency within a fixed interval. Although a typical Tabata Training circuit workout takes only four to six minutes to complete most athletes today have found it to be one of the most intense workouts to push their body to the extreme limit.
Contrary to some beliefs you really don’t need to spend countless hours at your local gym to successfully train your upper body muscles. What you do need however is a demanding workout to boost the intensity of the training routine to stimulate muscular build and torch those excess calories and burn fat. This is where an effective upper body Tabata torching workout steps in.
Begin the workout with a 5 minute warmup of the following exercises each for a period of no more than 45 seconds.
▪ Slow High Knees
▪ Toe Touch Kicks
▪ High Knee and Twists
▪ Jogging on the spot
Exercise #1-The Plank with alternating knee-tuck How to perform the Plank with knee-tuck:
▪ Begin the exercise by assuming the plank position, feet at hip-width and hands positioned underneath your shoulders.
▪ Lift your right knee inward towards your left elbow.
▪ Return to the starting position.
▪ Now repeat the motion by bringing your left knee inwards to your right elbow.
▪ Repeat the exercise for twenty seconds.
Exercise #2-Alternating medicine ball push-up How to perform the Alternating medicine ball push-up
▪ While assuming the traditional pushup position start by placing your right hand on top of the medicine ball, left hand on the ground and execute a pushup.
▪ Roll the medicine ball over to your left hand and repeat the push-up this time with your left hand on the medicine ball. ▪ Alternatively roll the medicine ball in-between hands and repeat the exercise for twenty seconds.
Exercise #3-Plank row with rotation How to perform the Plank row with rotation
▪ While holding a pair of dumbbells begin the exercise by setting yourself in a plank position.
▪ Carry your right hand towards your back in a row rotating your body and extending your left hand upwards.
▪ Lower your arm and repeat using your left hand
▪ Repeat for twenty seconds
Exercise #4-Single-leg deadlift with reverse fly How to perform the Single-leg deadlift with reverse fly
▪ Begin the exercise in a single-leg deadlift.
▪ While you’re bent over and balancing on one leg execute a reverse fly using your core, hamstrings and gluteus muscles to straighten your body.
▪ In this particular exercise you’ll be alternating the leg used per exercise set.
Exercise #5-Inchworm How to perform the Inchworm
▪ Begin from an upright position feet together and tighten your abdominal muscles by gently exhaling.
▪ Bend forward at the hips keeping your knees straight and lower your chest towards the floor arms extended until your fingers of both hands are on the floor and in front of your body. You may have to bend your knees slightly to keep your hamstrings tense and your back flat.
▪ Slowly begin to walk forward on your hands away from your feet until you find yourself in push-up or plank position to the floor.
▪ Execute a push-up.
▪ Begin slowly walking your feet forward towards your hands until your hands are close to your feet. Elevate yourself to the starting position.
▪ Repeat for twenty seconds.