With the summer season almost here most men are turning their attention towards toning their muscles and sculpt their abs to begin showing off their six-pack as an embodiment of physical allure. Contrary to many beliefs flattening your stomach and build your abdominal muscles to carve out a sharp and perfect v-cut requires much more than performing countless abdominal crunches and leg lifts. Free weight abs exercises can also perform at home if you have the space.
Often the simplest exercises when combined into workout routine can deliver the most effective training results to achieving our fitness goals. As such this basic and beneficial workout by including a number of free weight exercises when routinely performed three days each week, resting at least a day in-between training days will help you sculpt your abs.
Exercise #1-Dumbbell Romanian Deadlift
- Using an overhand grip grab a pair of dumbbells and stand in an upright position feet at hip-with holding them in front of your thighs at arm's length bending slightly at the knees.
- Lower your body by bending at your hips until your chest is parallel to the floor.
- Hold the position for one count and return to the start position.
Exercise #2-The Dumbbell High Pull
- Begin in a similar position as if you're going to perform the Dumbbell Romanian Deadlift, however in this exercise using an overhand grip the dumbbells and hold them slightly below the knees.
- When you have achieved this position using your elbows quickly pull the dumbbells to the height of your shoulder while rising onto your toes.
- Return to the starting position.
Exercise #3-Lunge with Biceps Curl
- Standing in an upright position with your feet at hip-width apart grab a pair of dumbbells and hold them at your sides at arm's length palms facing inward.
- Lunge forward using either your right or left leg lowering your body until the front knee is bent at an angle of 90 degrees while simultaneously curing the dumbbells up towards your shoulders.
- Lower the dumbbells and and push yourself upward to the starting position.
- Repeat using the other leg.
Exercise #4-The Dumbbell Overhead Press
- Hold a pair of dumbbells just outside of your shoulders, palms faced inwards.
- Press the weights over your head fully extending your arms and hold the position for a single count.
- Lower the dumbbells back to your shoulders to complete a single rep of the exercise.
Exercise #5- The Mountain Climber
- Assume a plank position as you naturally would when performing the traditional push-up.
- Lift your left foot off the ground slowly elevating your knee towards your chest as close as possible.
- Return to the starting position.
- Repeat with the other leg alternating the required number of reps for each leg.
Exercise #6- The Dumbbell Front Squat
- Begin the exercise by using an overhand grip to grab the dumbbells arms at shoulder-width apart.
- Lower your upper-body by slightly bending your knees and hips until your chest is just parallel to the floor and your lower back naturally arched.
- Contract your shoulder blades together and lift the dumbbell to the sides of your chest.
- Lower the weights to the starting position.
Beginners when using this workout to sculpt your abs are generally recommended to perform two to three sets of the suggested exercises using 8 to 10 reps followed by a rest period of three minutes before attempting another set.
Intermediate to advanced individuals however should perform a similar two to three sets of the exercises using 10 to 12 reps, lowering their rest times for a period of 60 seconds before completing another round for a more intense exercise workout.