The Venom Training System is a ten week program invented by Maurice Bright and combines both high weight low reps and low weight high reps exercises into the same workout on a daily basis. The system calls for heavy exercises to be performed initially in the workout in order to stimulate fast twitch muscle fibers and induce hypertrophy. The latter part of the workout should consist of only low weight exercises performed for many reps.
This system isn’t for the faint of heart. For example, an arm day in this unconventional routine calls for ELEVEN different exercises and the high rep exercises require sets of anywhere from 20 to 35 repetitions! Chest and shoulders day has 12 exercises and the first has EIGHT sets with the reps moving from 3 to 45! He breaks down sets based on percentages of your 1 rep max (1RM). Your first four sets will be based 75%, 80%, 85% and finish with 90% of your 1RM. Your final four sets will follow the same protocol but with the percentages of 30%, 35%, 40% and 45%. You will want a journal for this system. Keeping records of your performance is crucial because there are a lot of exercises to be performed and Maurice encourages you to increase your max by 5 pounds every two weeks.
Though not directly in the literature out online, this training system also utilizes the theory behind post activation potentiation (PAP) to improve muscular performance, which postulates that by overloading and stimulating fast twitch muscle fibers first (high weight low rep), we incur a boost in performance for a window of about 30 minutes in explosive maneuvers and actions (low weight high rep). The plan does call for three minutes of rest between exercises which is ideal for PAP.
VTS Upper Body Workout:
-Stretch, TRX/ Barbell Warm-Up
– Bench Press (Barbell or Dumbbell) – 7 reps x 8 sets (Set 1 75% max, Set 2 80% max, Set 3 85%max, Set 4 90%max, Set 5 45 reps 30% max, Set 6 25 reps 35% max, Set 7 15 reps 45% max)
– Incline Bench (Barbell or Dumbbell) – Set 1 25 reps, Set 2 20 reps
– Chest Press – Set 1 12 reps, Set 2 10 reps
– One Arm Flies – Set 1 20 reps, Set 2 15 rep
– Diamond Pushups – Set 1 15 reps, Set 2 12 rep
– Single Arm Overhead Dumbbell Raise – Set 1 12 reps, Set 2 10 rep
– Dumbbell T Raise – Set 1 20 reps, Set 2 15 rep
– Cable Lateral Raise – Set 1 15 reps, Set 2 12 rep
– Cable Rotator Cuff Pull – Set 1 15 reps, Set 2 12 rep
– Dumbbell Shrug- Set 1 35 reps, Set 2 30 rep
– Cool Down