For years bodyweight exercises have been used as simple yet effective method of training perfumed just about anywhere for men to improve their balance, flexibility muscle build and strength without the use of any exercise machines. these are the top 10 best bodyweight exercises for men to use to build strong muscle
The top 10 bodyweight exercises for men to build muscle
1. The Push-up
Used as part of the typical strength training workout, the push-up is known for effectively targeting not only the shoulders, triceps and pectorals but is also an excellent exercise to stabilize the lower back and trunk. The exercise is easily performed in a number of variations by the positioning of the hands and feet such as in the hindus, and EQI and push-up plus.
Proper Push-Up Form:
- Start in the lowered pushup position with your hands under your shoulders and your legs in a straight line from your hips to your feet.
- Squeeze your abs as you extend your arms straight up until you hit plank position.
- Exhale and slowly lower down to the starting position till your elbows hit a 90 degree angle then repeat.
2. Bodyweight Squats
Bodyweight squats are known for their massive conditioning benefits by simultaneously targeting a wide range of muscle groups within the body in addition to increasing mobility within the hip, knee and ankle joints.
The Bodyweight squat is easily performed against the wall for beginners to endure the proper technique is maintained or as part of a bodyweight circuit workout.
3. Pull-Ups - bodyweight exercises to build muscle
Undoubtedly one of the best exercises for building upper back muscles pull-ups are also known for the added advantage as being one of the most adaptable exercises used in any workout. For best results make sure you are using good form and the proper technique.
Proper Pull-Up Form:
- Hold the bar with your palms facing down
- Hang with your legs straight up and down, without swinging back and forth.
- Pull upwards in a straight line with your elbows pointing downwards until your chin rises above the bar.
- Lower yourself back down till your arms are straight but not locked.
Modifying the Pull-Up:
- Using an alternative means for conducting the pull-up such as a thick towel, rope or an offset grip.
- Adjusting the linear movement by performing the exercise using a lateral movement, or executing an I-sit or leg lift with each rep of the exercise.
4. Bulgarian Split Squats
One of the best bodyweight exercises to build muscle and leg strength, Bulgarian Split Squats are notable for increasing knee stability and hip mobility. The exercise is often performed in variation by holding a load such as a sandbag during the overhead movement in a bear hug at your chest.
5. The Plank
Often referred to as the abdominal bridge or front hold, the plank is recognized as an isometric form of strength training targeting a range of the core muscles including the abdominals, back, and shoulders by requiring the person training to hold a strenuous position during the exercise movement for a prolonged period of time.
6. Abdominal Roll-Outs
Seen as an advanced modification of the traditional plank exercise, the Abdominal Roll-Out increases the muscles within the torso for improved strength when performing compound based ground exercises.
The exercise however observes a dissimilarity to the plank by the recruiting of the upward body movement while maintaining a rigid torso in what is categorized as a resting tension.
7. The Lunge
A fairly easy exercise for beginner athletes the lunge is one of the best exercises for increasing muscular build in a variety of muscle groups such as the quadriceps, hamstrings, and gluteus maximus (buttocks). Typically a short lunge will primarily target the quadriceps while a long lunge will tend to more effectively engage the gluteals. One popular variation of the lunge is the plyometric lunges or split squat jumps which are performed by quickly jumping in-between lunge positions.
8. The Bear Crawl
The bear crawl is a great upper body circuit training exercise. It's known for increasing muscular build, strength, and endurance in the shoulders, chest, and triceps. It also targets your quads and abdominal muscles. It's a great exercise to help you focus on your breath and abdominal control.
How to do the bear crawl:
- Start with your hands and knees on all fours.
- Slightly move your knees off the ground with your arms straight and your back flat.
- Move your right hand and left foot forward and equal distance then repeat with the right foot and left hand.
One of the more effective full body exercises used today in a number of strength training routines or as part of an aerobic workout. As not many people are accustomed to performing the burpee I'll give a short illustration shown below.
How to perform the burpee:
- Begin the exercise in an upright position
- Lower yourself into a squat allowing your hands to touch the ground
- Keeping your arms extended kick both your feet your feet backwards, perform a push-up
- Quickly return both your feet to the squat position
- Jump up from the squat to complete a single rep
10. Original bodyweight exercises to build muscle - The Abdominal Knee Crunch
One of the most commonly used abdominal exercises, the crunch has been used in several workouts to target the rectus abdominal muscles. It also targets the obliques by curling the shoulders towards the pelvis. It is a very simple exercise yet it is easy to make mistakes.
Proper Form for the Abdominal Knee Crunch:
- Lay flat on your back. Place your feet on the ground hip-width apart. place your hand next to your ears and bend your knees.
- Exhale, keep your head and neck relaxed and slowly lift your upper and lower body until your elbows meet your knees.
- Then lower back down gently and repeat.
So if you find yourself stuck at home, or just looking for an alternative to your regular gym routine try these top 10 best bodyweight exercises for men. You can maintain muscle mass, keep up with your cardio routine, and build muscle all by using your own bodyweight.